Whether you’re thinking of purchasing a home and believe it may have a mold problem, or you’re noticing signs that your own home may have mold after an issue like flooding or water damage, a mold test from a qualified home inspector is essential.
Mold testing allows you to check for potentially harmful mold, such as black mold, which can hide inside walls and in damp areas, and often go undetected for months or years. Learn more below, and see why mold testing is so important.
What Is Mold Testing, And How Does It Work?
There are a few different types of mold testing, and they all work in a slightly different way. Air testing may be used to collect spores from the air in your home.
In other cases, a sample of an area where you suspect there may be mold might be removed, and sent in for lab testing. Other methods of mold testing include tape samples and swab samples, which are used to collect spores from a surface suspected of harboring mold. A home inspector will be able to help you understand which option is right for you.
Regardless of the method used to collect samples, your samples will be sent to a laboratory where they can be examined closely to detect the presence of even the smallest mold spores, ensuring that the test is as thorough and comprehensive as possible.
What Are The Signs That I Need Mold Testing?
Mold testing is only necessary if you think that your home may have mold, but are not sure where it is. If you already see visible signs of mold, like patches on your walls, you don’t need testing – because you already have a mold problem.
Instead, mold testing is usually recommended if:
- You smell mold or mildew in a home and cannot determine its origin
- You believe the home may have moisture issues due to issues like water leaks, improperly built bathrooms, or flooding
- Your indoor air quality is poor, causing symptoms like shortness of breath, itchiness, watery eyes, or a sore throat
If you suspect mold in your home, or a home you’re interested in buying, a mold test is essential for detecting it, and allowing you to take the proper actions to resolve the issue.
What Are The Benefits Of Mold Testing?
Mold testing has a variety of benefits, including the following:
- Peace of mind – You will not have to worry about a hidden mold problem spreading throughout your house, and can take action to correct the issue before it becomes more severe
- Avoid buying a home with serious mold problems – Failing to inspect for mold pre-purchase could cost you tens of thousands of dollars in mold remediation bills
- Protects your health – Mold can cause respiratory issues, eye irritation, and other unpleasant side effects related to poor indoor air quality
- Helps identify related issues like water leaks/damage – Tracing the root cause of a mold infestation can reveal other issues like poor plumbing, past water damage, leaks and more
Schedule A Mold Inspection Today
A mold inspection is the best way to protect your health, your family, and your property from the damaging effects of mold. So don’t wait. If you have any reason to suspect mold in your home or a home you’re interested in buying, schedule an inspection today.