Pre-cast fireplaces were installed on many homes throughout California during the mid 70′s to the mid 80′s. We come across them frequently while inspecting homes here in San Diego County. Many of these fireplaces were cracked or damaged before they were even installed. Most of the cracks discovered are typically at the “insulation plate” which starts at the fireplace opening and extended to the smoke chamber . A damaged fireplace can allow smoke, fire and carbon monoxide to enter the home which is a serious safety concern and fire hazard. During a recent home inspection, I came across this pre-cast fireplace that was severely cracked (one of the worst I’ve ever seen) and not safe for use. The only fix for this fireplace would be to tear it down and build a new one. If you are concerned about the fireplace in the home that you currently own or one installed at a home you are considering purchasing, be sure you have it thoroughly inspected by a qualified expert before attempting to use it.
Pre-Cast Fireplace Warning
By John Robinson's Inspection Group on October 28, 2014 in Carbon Monoxide, Fire Protection, Home Health Hazards, Home Inspection, Home Safety Tips, Structural