Archive | Home Health Hazards RSS feed for this section

Pre-Cast Fireplace Warning

Pre-cast fireplaces were installed on many homes throughout California during the mid 70′s to the mid 80′s.  We come across them frequently while inspecting homes here in San Diego County.  Many of these fireplaces were cracked or damaged before they were even installed.  Most of the cracks discovered are typically at the “insulation plate” which […]

Read full story Comments { 0 }

Safety Hazard Discovered During A Home Inspection In San Diego

A safety hazard was discovered during a recent home inspection here in San Diego by an inspector from John Robinson’s Inspection Group. Upon entering the attic space of this North Park area home, the inspector observed that the gas furnace flue pipe was not properly installed.  A separation was noted about halfway between the top […]

Read full story Comments { 0 }

Chinese Drywall Testing

“Can you tell me if my home was built using Chinese Drywall?” We get this question from our clients frequently. Unfortunately by the time we are inside your home to perform our home inspection, the drywall is already hanging, painted over and covered by insulation. However, there are a few observations that can be performed […]

Read full story Comments { 0 }
Worried About Mold?

Worried About Mold?

Mostly every home buyer we perform home inspections for here in San Diego has some degree of concern when it comes to mold.  This concern that can range from very little to being extremely concerned.  John Robinson’s Inspection Group is not a mold inspection company.  We are not licensed nor trained to identify mold.  However, […]

Read full story Comments { 0 }

What’s in Your Crawlspace?

This old cast-iron drain line was leaking in the crawlspace of this San Diego home built in the 1950′s. This is causing an excess of moisture to accumulate. Leaking drain lines and improper site drainage can have an adverse effect on the stabilityof your home’s foundation, attract wood destroying organisms and cause mold growth. The […]

Read full story Comments { 0 }

Always Hire A Licensed Plumber

During a recent inspection of a San Diego home, I came across a water heater that had been relocated into the garage.  It was quite evident that this modification was performed by non-licensed plumbers.  Several unsafe conditions were visible. Below are a couple of photographs of of safety violations that should be corrected immediately by […]

Read full story Comments { 0 }

Recent Heat Wave Promotes Mold Growth in San Diego Home

The recent heat wave in San Diego has forced many of us to stay inside and turn on the air conditioner.  However, during a recent home inspection we discovered this air conditioner’s condensate pump was not functioning properly.  This problem had been occurring for many months promoting extensive mold growth on and inside its return air compartment.  This is a […]

Read full story Comments { 0 }

Did you know the following facts about lead?

The home inspectors at John Robinson’s Inspection Group are always thinking about your family’s health and safety.  Although we do not inspect for lead during our home inspections, it’s still very important to know the facts about this dangerous material that can be present in your San Diego home. FACT: Lead exposure can harm young […]

Read full story Comments { 0 }

Biological Pollutants in the Home

Outdoor air pollution in cities is a major health problem. Much effort and money continue to be spent cleaning up pollution in the outdoor air. But air pollution can be a problem where you least expect it, in the place you may have thought was safest — your home. Many ordinary activities, such as cooking, […]

Read full story Comments { 0 }

Attached Garage Fire Hazards

The purpose of this article is twofold. First, at John Robinson’s Inspection Group, we’d like you to take measures to keep your garage free from fire. Fortunately, there are ways this can be done, some of which are described below. Secondly, garage fires do happen, and we’d like you to make sure that a fire […]

Read full story Comments { 0 }